It’s Friday, time to look back over the blessings of the week with Susanne at Living to Tell the Story and other friends.
Wow, the first week of June already! I always think of June 1 as the beginning of summer, thought technically it’s not until June 21. With my kids being older, summer doesn’t bring the feel of a break like it used to – and actually Jesse is taking summer classes this year to go back to work on his Bachelor’s degree, so it feels even less like a break. But I am enjoying keeping cool in the AC! Here are a few highlights of the last week:
1. A three-day weekend. We spent most of Memorial Day at Jason and Mittu’s house. They grilled burgers, sausage, corn on the cob, and carrots. So good! Rain threatened, but we only had a little sprinkle, and that was while we were eating under the umbrella, so it worked out fine. Jim and Jesse spent most of the day working on an outdoor play set we had bought for Timothy’s birthday several weeks ago – the kind of thing with swings, a slide, a little fort-like enclosure, etc. The thing had tons of pieces and maybe 20 bags of different kinds of screws and nuts and bolts. They had to do a lot of drilling of holes for those things. They ended up not being able to complete it and were pretty done in by the end of the day, but it shouldn’t take too long to finish it up this weekend. I’m excited to see how Timothy reacts – I don’t think he had the big picture of what it’s going to be yet. All in all it was a good day.
2. Good weather. We had a LOT of thunderstorms forecast for the week, but ended up with not much in our area, though some of the city did have more and some were without power. Ours blinked off a few times but thankfully came back on in about half a minute.
3. Breaks from cooking. Besides Memorial Day, Jesse and I got take-out from Red Lobster one evening when Jim was tied up at work, Jason and Mittu brought one meal over and made one here, and we got Asian take-out Saturday night.
4. Haircut. Nothing new – I can’t think of what new to do to it. 🙂 But it always feels good to get it done. My hair gets less cooperative and more limp the longer it gets, so usually by the time I get it cut, I’m pretty frustrated with it and relieved to get it done. I went a little shorter than usual this time, just so the cut will last me a little longer. 🙂
5. Trimming plants and bushes. My rose bushes were overgrown and I have been wanting to get at them for a while now, and finally did that Thursday. They usually bloom several times a summer with some cutting back here and there. Now I just need to figure out what’s eating them and what to do about it – lots of little holes in the leaves. I also “deadheaded” some other plants as well. Felt good to get this done as well.
Hope you had a good week as well!