It’s Friday, time to look back over the blessings of the week with Susanne at Living to Tell the Story and other friends.
I start too many of these commenting on the passage of time, but, wow, it sure does seem to be going ever more quickly. I can’t believe we’re a week into July already! But here we are, and here are some of the best parts of the last week:
1. Great-Grandma’s 88th birthday. She can only eat pureed food, so we got her a caramel frappe from McDonald’s (one of her favorite things) and put her birthday candle in it. 🙂 We got cupcakes for the rest of us. Her favorite color is yellow, thus the yellow flowers.
2. Independence Day. Though our country is not perfect and has its problems, I still would rather not llive anywhere else and I am thankful for it.
3. Neighborhood cookout. A couple of neighbors have organized this for the last few years for July 4. One neighbor grills hamburgers, hot dogs, and ribs, and everyone contributes a bit of money for the meat. Then everyone else brings side dishes, desserts, soft drinks, etc. Sadly, I am not as neighborly as I probably should be, so I am glad for this opportunity to get out in my community and talk with people. I especially enjoyed meeting some new neighbors.
Funny moment here: I’m not a huge fan of Sprite, but I drink it sometimes if there are no caffeine-free alternatives. Little Timothy and his parents had come for the cookout, and he had gotten hot running around. He came over to me and kept trying to get to the ice in my cup, but he had been petting a dog, so I didn’t want his fingers in it. 🙂 I asked if I could pour some for him in a cup. He took a drink, blinked, made a funny face, but said, “MMMMmmm!” And he kept doing that, like it was a bit strong, but he liked it. His mom said, “Why are you reacting like that? I said, “Has he not had Sprite before?” She said, “Oh, I thought you had water!” 😀
4. Ceiling fans. We don’t use them all that much, but for a couple of days it was so hot and humid that just the AC wasn’t cutting it. It felt lovely to come in and sit down under the fans.
5. Clean carpets. My husband cleaned my youngest son’s carpet because he had a pretty bad stain on it, and while he was at it, cleaned the carpet in the living room and office as well. The stain came out nicely, and it’s a nice feeling to know the carpets have been done.
Bonus. Rain. It’s been pretty dry lately, so a day or so of rain was a big relief.