It’s Friday, time to look back over the blessings of the week with Susanne at Living to Tell the Story and other friends.
Wow, it’s the first of July already! Here are highlights from the last week in June:
1. A neighbor’s bounty. This time of year our neighbor starts bringing over some of the excess from their garden. One batch contained these humongous zucchini. My little tape measure isn’t showing up well, but they were close to 12″ long.
2. Two successful new zucchini recipes. One night I tried these Zucchini Boats, and wow – we all loved them. I only made a half recipe at first to test them out, but next time I am making a full batch! I used the Jimmy Dean Turkey Sausage Crumbles because that’s what I had on hand, and also because the turkey sausage is so much less greasy. Plus they are already cooked, saving a step.
I was trying to explain to my husband and son that normally for zucchini boats, you cut the zucchini in half lengthwise and scoop out the middle, so it ends up looking something like a canoe. But these were so big, I cut them into quarters instead of halves so the servings wouldn’t be so big and take longer to cook. My husband summarized, “So they’re zucchini rafts and not zucchini boats?” 🙂 I also made zucchini muffins but didn’t get a photo. And both recipes just used one zucchini! Bonus: after typing in “zucchini” so much while searching for recipes, I now know how to spell it. 🙂 I used to get mixed up as to how many c’s and n’s it had.
3. A finished fence! I am so proud of my hard-working husband both for finding it on Craig’s list and then spending so much time putting it up. Unfortunately with the loss of the diseased tress we had to cut down, the weeds along the tree line are shooting up rapidly since they’re getting so much more sunshine and rain. That’s the next phase: getting rid of the weeds and deciding what we want to plant in their stead.
4. Successful surgery. My step-father had hip replacement surgery yesterday, and at the time of this writing I’ve heard the surgery went well and he’s in recovery. My sisters there with him in TX are keeping me updated. Praying for a quick and smooth recovery.
5. One of my favorite meals that my daughter-in-law makes is a chicken cordon bleu variation with chicken tenderloins, ham, bacon, and cheese, and she made that for us on Sunday along with au gratin potatoes and salad. Yum!
Happy Friday, and Happy Independence Day weekend to those in the USA!