It’s Friday, time to look back over the blessings of the week with Susanne at Living to Tell the Story and other friends. Here are some favorite parts of the last week:
1. Squirrel-proof bird feeders. Since we’ve had bird feeders, we’ve had a squirrel or two come by and nibble a bit, and I had no problem with that. But this year we’ve had at least three who can empty the feeders out in a day. That gets a bit expensive. I found one squirrel-proof feeder in Wal-Mart, another on Amazon. They’re not entirely squirrel-proof, but they do slow them down a lot, and they don’t come around as often, leaving more for the birds.
2. Grilled ham. Hadn’t had it in ages, and it was so good. I didn’t take any pictures: just imagine pink ham with grill stripes. 🙂
Marinated Ham Steak
1/2 cup apple juice
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon margarine, melted
1 to 2 teaspoons mustard
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon paprika
1 ham steak
Combine first six ingredients and pour into a resealable plastic bag. Cut ham steaks in half or in smaller pieces and add to bag; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate at least two hours, turning occasionally.
Drain marinade and grill ham, uncovered, over medium heat. If the ham is fully cooked beforehand, grill only 3-4 minutes on each side; if the ham is raw, plan on 10-15 minutes or until meat thermometer reaches 140-160 degrees.
The original recipe called for pineapple juice, which we didn’t have on hand the first time I made it, so I used apple juice and liked it well enough that I’ve stuck with it ever since. It made for a nice Sunday-after-church meal because we put it in the marinade in the fridge before church, and then it didn’t take long at all to grill afterward.
3. VBS week. Our Vacation Bible School coordinator has been sending emails out every evening with a short summary of how the night went plus some photos. Everyone’s done a great job with decorating and planning and such and it seems the kids are really enjoying and benefiting from it.
4. An uneventful dental visit. Seeing the dentist is never my favorite thing to do, but my visit Thursday went relatively smoothly. Since my last dental cleaning resulted in having to have a tooth pulled and a bridge put in, I was very glad there were no surprises this time.
5. This, seen at Reading to Know: