It’s Friday, time to look back over the blessings of the week with Susanne at Living to Tell the Story and other friends.
It’s been kind of a whirlwind week! Here are the highlights:
1. Games with the family. My oldest son was here for Thanksgiving through Monday, and last weekend the whole family played some games together, one of my favorite things. He introduced us to a new one, Telestrations. It’s kind of a combination of the old “telephone” game (where one person whispers something into another person’s ear, and they whisper the same thing to the next person, etc., until you finally hear what the message is with the last person, usually something way different from how it started) and illustrations or Pictionary. It was absolutely hilarious. So much fun.
2. Decorating for Christmas. I love that we still do this together as a family. It would probably take me all week if I had to do it by myself. I wasn’t really in “the Christmas spirit” when we started – it just didn’t seem like it was time yet – but somehow Christmas decorations and music helped get me there. Plus my oldest took some snowflake ornaments and put them on light fixtures in other parts of the house without telling us, so it has been fun to discover those.
3. Time with friends. A new friend at church and I had been talking about wanting to get together for some months now, and had to reschedule actual plans a couple of times, but we finally met for lunch this week. I haven’t done anything like that in a very long time, and enjoyed it very much. Then I had been wanting to catch up with another friend that I hadn’t been able to talk to in weeks. I had e-mailed, but I wanted to talk to her in person. Our church isn’t that big, but sometimes there are people you just don’t cross paths with if you sit in different places. This last Sunday as I was getting ready to leave, I came across her in the lobby, and she wasn’t already talking to someone else, so we got to catch up. There have been some significant events in her life in the past few months, and I had heard through the grapevine of possible plans she was making, so it was good to talk to her directly.
4. A pleasant surprise. Since our pastor’s passing, we’ve had various people preaching at church – both of our assistant pastors, various men in the church, and guest speakers – while the search committee is doing the background work to try to find a new pastoral candidate. This last Sunday I found on the church bulletin the name of an old friend that we had attended church with for the first 14 years we were married. I had known him since before he was married, loved his mom (one of the merriest-hearted Christians I have ever known before Alzheimer’s came to visit her) and wife, he was one of our Sunday School teachers, and he has done some writing since then that has truly blessed me. Besides our former pastor of the same church, there is no one whose exposition of the Word of God I would trust more. It was such a joy to hear him speak again, and to touch base just a little.
5. A new job. Some of you know that my youngest son has been looking for a job since receiving his Associate’s degree last May. He’s sent his resume in to various places and even had some interviews, but nothing had turned up yet. Jason’s company was hiring for Christmas, and he sent in Jesse’s resume – and he got hired and started yesterday! Even though it is not in his chosen field, it is still work. Since he doesn’t have any work experience except for yard work for a man at church, it will not only help his resume but will also help with various skills and experience needed in any type of job. And….the husband of the person interviewing him works at the same company where Jesse did some work for one of his classes, and he is looking for someone in Jesse’s field, so she said she would pass his interview on to him.