It’s Friday, time to look back over the blessings of the week with Susanne at Living to Tell the Story and other friends.
It’s been a whirlwind week. Here are five favorite parts of it:
1. Progress for my little grandson in the NICU. I’m going to have to come up with a nickname for him! I hope you don’t mind hearing about him every week, because that’s likely to continue. 🙂 He is still having episodes of his heart rate dropping and forgetting to breathe, but not as many as last week. They’ve been lowering his oxygen and yesterday removed his nasal cannula completely. They’ve been lowering the temperature in his incubator to see if he can regulate his own body temperature. His weight has been up and down but he has gained 8 ounces since birth 3 weeks ago. He can wear clothes now! And they may start trying to feed him a little by mouth next week to see how he does. Plus he gets cuter every day, in my unbiased opinion. 🙂 It’s really cute to see him smiling in his sleep and sometimes even when he is awake. We know that’s probably just a reflex right now, but we’ll take it as a sign that he is happy. Please do keep praying – they say the journey with preemies is one of ups and downs rather than steady progress. Thanks so much for your care and concern and prayers so far!
2. Baby gifts. Our church usually does a baby shower for expectant moms, but my grandson came the week before his. Since his mom was still recovering and going to the hospital to be with him as much as possible, what the church decided to do was go ahead and gather presents for him, in case they needed them soon, and then some time in the future they’ll have a brunch and maybe a diaper shower or something. We brought home some of the presents that had accumulated so far and my son and daughter-in-law came over one evening and opened them here. It was fun to see them, and we so appreciate people’s thoughtfulness.
3. BBQ burgers. I love grilling season. 🙂 My husband tried the sous vide for them this time so he could do some thicker burgers than he could with just the grill.
4. A new hose. Sometimes it’s the little things. 🙂 With planting flower beds and pots a few weeks ago, we’re watering more, and rediscovered that one garden hose was in bad shape, spraying from several places besides the opening. I kept forgetting about it completely when I was at stores where they sold such things, and finally got one this week, along with a nozzle that I can change from a shower for the plants to a stronger stream when rinsing pollen and dust off the porch.
5. Dusting. Not one of my favorite activities per se, but I do like the results. It had really piled up with all the busy-ness of the last few weeks, to the point where I was embarrassed. When the house is unkempt, I feel unkempt, and it was a good feeling to tackle that this week.
Just yesterday I didn’t think I’d have five “faves” to share today, until I started jotting some down last night. That’s one blessing of doing this weekly: what we think of as an average, “not much happening” kind of week turns out to be a very blessed one when we stop to think about it, and that in turn reminds us to thank the Lord for those blessings.