Welcome to Friday’s Fave Five, hosted by Susanne at Living to Tell the Story, in which we can share five of our favorite things from the last week, a wonderful exercise in looking for and appreciating the good things God blesses us with. Click on the button to learn more, then go to Susanne’s to read others’ faves and link up your own.
This has been a fairly balanced week between getting some things done yet not feeling pressured and overburdened to get things done. Here are some of the highlights of the week:
1. Good weather. Not only did we not get predicted bad weather this week, but we actually had sunshine! Or at least more than we’ve had in a while. Does my heart good.
2. Rest. I wasn’t feeling well Sunday – nothing major, but it was enough that I needed to stay home from church. We’re not legalistic about Sunday activities, but I do try to keep it a day of rest as much as possible by not doing anything around the house that doesn’t absolutely have to be done, so I felt free to just rest, doze, and read off and on all day rather than feeling like I needed to be up doing something, and it was so refreshing.
3. A decorating dilemma solved. I had some more formal, elegant candle holders, wedding gifts from dear friends, on the mantel in the family room, along with some birdhouses, which are a bit more casual. I didn’t feel the candle holders “fit” there, but I didn’t want to move them until I had something to replace them, and I wasn’t sure where to put them. Our living room is a bit dressier, but much smaller than in our previous house, so there was no place for them there. I went out to Hobby Lobby this week and found this neat little piece:
It was on sale half-price, but even then was a bit more than I wanted to spend…but I had a gift card for HL from Christmas, so I let it be my Christmas present. 🙂 It fits in nicely with the rest, I think:
Next decorating project: replacing the plaque over the mantel. Love it (and I do have another place in mind for it), but it’s out of proportion to everything else. I do have some ideas – just have to decide which one to use.
The candle holders found a home on top of my desk:
I probably should put candles in them, huh? 🙂 The little angel figurine, by the way, was originally in a dish garden arrangement that my mom had sent to me for Valentine’s Day in college ages ago, and the little wooden house on the mantel was made by Jim’s dad.
4. Getting just a bit of sorting and organizing done: just the basket on my desk and the most-used drawer of my desk, but it felt good to get them in order.
5. Another problem solved: finding a way to turn my mother-in-law’s nightgowns into hospital-type gowns. Easier to dress and undress her, and more comfortable, too.
Overall a good week! I hope yours was, too.