Welcome to Friday’s Fave Five, hosted by Susanne at Living to Tell the Story, in which we can share five of our favorite things from the last week, a wonderful exercise in looking for and appreciating the good things God blesses us with. Click on the button to learn more, then go to Susanne’s to read others’ faves and link up your own.
It’s hard to believe it’s almost time for Thanksgiving and that November is almost over! This month has just flown. Here are some favorite parts of the last week or so:
1. My husband’s cataract surgery went well. Things are still healing, but already his vision has improved from what it was. It may never be perfect because of the wrinkle on his retina, unless that should work itself out, but it is better, and should improve more as the eye heals.
2. Kind comments and prayers for us concerning Jim’s surgery.
3. Help for ministry. I share this kind of thing as an encouragement to others and a praise to God. Most of you know I compile a newsletter for our ladies at church. I usually have that out the first Sunday of the month which, this month, comes up right after Thanksgiving. I needed to get it ready to print off by the beginning of next week because the church offices will be closed the latter half of the week (and I’ll have my own Thanksgiving things to do). So that was Job 1 this week – which was also the week of Jim’s surgery. I wanted to put a big dent in it Tuesday, and all morning one thing after another came up, so that I couldn’t even really get started. I was a bit discouraged, but the afternoon was blessedly quiet, and things just fell together with it. I’m all done now except for one part I am waiting on from someone else, and here I thought I’d be scrambling to get it done this week. Thank you, Lord!
4. Just-right weather. Our weather has been all over the place this fall. This week the thunderstorms and hail that had been forecast did not come to pass, and though the early mornings and evenings have been cold, the afternoons have been just like I like them. I am not a hiker, but if I were this would have been a perfect week for it.
5. C. S. Lewis. Most of the focus this week has been on the 50th anniversary of the death of JFK, and that was indeed an event that shook our nation. But someone else died that day, someone I had never heard of at the time but someone who was to have a much more profound influence on me and on others. C. S. Lewis passed away quietly 50 years ago today, and this is a nice tribute.