Our bathroom has no windows and no other light source without electricity. Recently when our power went out before I had taken my shower, I got out this little battery-operated lantern. We had originally gotten it for camping but for some reason it was still in the house rather than out in the shed with the other camping equipment.
My husband also had the little touch-operated light next to it and put it on the wall above the shower. Both helped greatly! And both would also be useful for children’s room or for going from room to room. You wouldn’t want to leave them on all evening and run the batteries down: candles or an oil lamp up where little ones can’t reach them would be better for general room lighting over a long period. But when you need lighting for a short time, or in a small space where it wouldn’t be safe to use candles, or around children, these are great.
The lantern can be found in stores with camping equipment (this one came from Wal-mart): the push-button light can be found with with light bulbs (I don’t know where this one was purchased, but I have found similar ones at Home Depot).
Another power outage lighting tip: I used to have a flashlight in many rooms in case the power went out, but then we often couldn’t remember where they were. I finally gathered all the flashlights and candles together in labeled storage boxes in one closet.
To browse through scores of other workable tips, go to Rocks In My Dryer.