Welcome to Friday’s Fave Five, hosted by Susanne at Living to Tell the Story, in which we can share five of our favorite things from the last week, a wonderful exercise in looking for and appreciating the good things God blesses us with. Click on the button to learn more, then go to Susanne’s to read others’ faves and link up your own.
This week hasn’t been quite as busy as the last few, thank the Lord. Here are some of the best parts of it:
1. Unexpected guests. I have to admit, to my shame, when the possibility first came up, my first thoughts were about how much work it would take to get ready for them and the uncomfortableness of having strangers in my home all weekend. But I Peter 1:9 kept running through my mind: “Use hospitality one to another without grudging.” We looked at our schedules and obligations for the weekend, and there was really no reason we couldn’t host these guys. As I mentioned last week, I had done a bunch of cleaning already, so there wasn’t that much to prepare for, and with teen guys, they don’t really care so much. There was a youth group from another church coming through on their way to camp, their youth pastor had interned here a few years ago (before our time), and he wanted his teens to get together with our teens. So they went tubing and had Nerf gun wars. One of the guys we had hit it off with Jesse immediately, and the other is a fairly new Christian with a unique situation: I think Jim and I were able to encourage him a bit, and we’ve been burdened to pray for him since. All in all it was a very good experience and I’m so glad God prompted us to have them.
2. Magnetic curtain rods helped us cover some windows on two metal doors. I’d thought about getting them off and on for months. They don’t have them in any store I looked at in town, but I found them online.
3. Air conditioning and ceiling fans. I know I have said that before, and I will probably say it again. Temperatures here were in the 100s this week (104 yesterday). The AC has been extremely helpful but had trouble keeping up yesterday, so the fans helped, too.
4. Work for Jesse. He hasn’t found a regular summer job yet. but a man in our church with his own business had some work for him this week.
5. New clothes. I have a hard time finding things I like that fit well that don’t cost a mint, but a couple of my everyday dresses were so worn they had torn. Thankfully I found a few things online.
Hope you’ve had a great week, too.