1. Likes to shop without help? To me the ideal sales person is one who is close by if you do need help but who doesn’t “hover” or hound you. I realize some may stay close by if they’re watching out for shoplifters. But I hate it when I have my nose in a book and someone comes by to say, “Can I help you find anything?” (Um, no, I found it, thanks.), or if I am met at every corner by someone asking to help me, or if I am trying to make a decision they really can’t help me with, or … well you get the idea. I admit, though, I’d rather have that problem than no help at all.
2. Mutes almost all commercials? I just can’t stand the noise and commotion. They’re usually louder than the show I was watching and usually obnoxious.
3. Doesn’t like slide shows on blogs or web sites? Please, don’t be offended if you use them. I can understand not wanting to take up so much space with a lot of pictures. But I hate sitting and waiting for the next picture to show up. I’d rather see them all at once and then click on the ones that I want to see more of. I’ve seen some slide shows with a “View all pictures” button, and that helps — I click on that and get a quick overview.
4. Doesn’t like instant messaging? I hate being in the middle of reading or writing or thinking and having a window pop up. It feels rude not to acknowledge it, so I just disabled it.
5. Cringes at public proposals? I’ve told my boys they’d better be pretty sure of the answer if they’re going to ask in such a way! But personally I think privacy at such a time is more meaningful. Unless someone really likes being put on the spot.
6. Doesn’t like online articles that just have a couple of paragraphs on the page and therefore take several pages? The prevailing wisdom is that Internet readers like things in short snatches, but I’d rather have the whole thing on one page than have to click over several times.
7. Doesn’t like messy hairstyles?
8. Thinks that there’s not much interesting on the summer TV schedule?
9. Doesn’t unpack my suitcase in hotels? Or even at other people’s homes? I will hang up dresses or things that need the wrinkles to fall out, but the things that stay folded I’d rather just leave in the suitcase.
10. Wishes those who have the right of way would just go ahead and take it most times? We certainly need more thoughtfulness on the roads, but sometimes some dear person is trying to be polite by letting someone else go when they have the right of way, but by the time that’s figured out and signaled and understood, it has taken much more time and effort than if the original person had just gone when they were supposed to.
11. Doesn’t like PowerPoint presentations where text comes up one letter at a time? Get on with it already.
I am sounding awfully impatient, aren’t I? I guess I’d rather use my time in better ways — or, if I am going to waste it, I want to waste it on my own terms.
12. Thinks pointy-toe shoes are silly?
13. Puts soft drinks in the freezer? Not til they’re frozen solid, but just until they’re slushy. Soooo good!!
You can find more Thursday Thirteens here.