FiddleDeeDee at It Coulda’ Been Worse has started Saturday Stirrings where we can share favorite recipes and find new favorites. I hope you will join in!
I don’t have a nailed-down and exact recipe for this, but I had them at a wedding reception once, and my friend, who also loved them, knew the person who made them and asked her how she did it. So, going by word of mouth, I went from there and worked out what works best for me.
These are little finger sandwiches that are good for brunches, receptions, ladies’ meetings, etc. — any event where you need a “finger food.” Of course, you could adapt them to regular sandwiches if you like.
1. First, get the type of small rolls that are all stuck together when you buy them:
This is actually after I put them all back together, so they’re not stuck together any more, but this is how they come: all stuck together in a disposable pan.
2. Cut the whole section of rolls in half horizontally.
3. Spread both layers with a mixture of mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and poppy seeds. I’m sorry, I’ve never measured this exactly, but if I were estimating I’d say maybe 1/2 cup mustard, 1 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, and 1 tablespoon poppy seeds.
4. Layer ham and Swiss or provolone cheese over the bottom half of the rolls.
As you can see, this time the top halves of the rolls came apart, but sometimes I have done it with the whole top half staying all together, and that makes it even easier.
5. Place the top half back over the bottom half as in the first picture above.
You can do up to this point ahead of time and put them in the refrigerator until a little while before serving time.
6. Place in 350 oven for a few minutes (5-10 or so) until warmed through and cheese is slightly melted. You could also microwave them, but you’d need to take them out of the foil pan — probably best done at the splitting in half stage.
7. Slice into separate small sandwiches and place on serving dish.
Of course, you could experiment with different types of rolls, condiments, meats, and cheeses. But I really like the flavor of this combination.